Google+ Georgia On My Mind: Wordless: Etowah Mounds

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wordless: Etowah Mounds

This is an image of the Etowah Mounds located near Cartersville, Georgia. The natives known as the Moundbuilders first arrived in the area around 950 A.D. One of it’s last great cities was located between the Etowah River and Pumpkinvine Creek. The Etowah Mounds State Park consists of 54-acres and includes 7 mounds, pits, plaza, portions of the original village and a museum.

The Moundbuilders were part of the Mississippian culture which featured advanced agricultual techniques, a form of government that was passed down from family member to family member (much like a monarchy), religion, and trade.

Archeologists and historians have proof that the natives who lived at this spot had direct relations with nearby Woodland Indians as well as Mound Builders from Ocmulgee near Macon, Georgia.

I wrote about Georgia’s mound builders a few months ago here.

This is my first Wordless Wednesday foray here at Georgia on My Mind in a long, long time. What better way to share images of my state with people from across the web! You can visit with other Wordless participants here.

2 comments:

dot said...

This is one of my favorite places to go in our area. My husband is not so fond of it since he was a teacher and had to go there on field trips so many times. I bet you have done that too!

Detroit said...

This is so cool! What a great piece of history! All the more reason I need to get to Georgia!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...