Google+ Georgia On My Mind: Vanishing Georgia

Friday, July 13, 2007

Vanishing Georgia

This picture is from Vanishing Georgia a resource form the Archives of the State of Georgia. This is an image taken by Jack Delano who worked for the Farm Security Administration in the 1930s.

The website houses over 18,000 photographs spanning over 100 years of Georgia history.

The website says:

The broad subject matter of these photographs, shot by both amateurs and professionals, includes, but is not limited to, family and business life, street scenes and architecture, agriculture, school and civic activities, important individuals and events in Georgia history, and landscapes.

(Sorry for the large gaps....I'm not well versed in posting multiple pictures yet.)

Here’s an image of Abram and Tabitha Glore taken before 1871. The photo is probably dated that way since either Abram or Tabitha passed away in 1871 and that’s the best fix for knowing when it was taken. Love the bonnet, don’t you?







This is an image of an Atlanta in 1908. My grandfather in the 1970s used to love to ask me if I ever rode the trolley because he liked to see the confused look on my face. The trolleys were long gone by the time Mother and I visited downtown Rich’s and Davisons and I had no idea what he was talking about.






Finally, is this your aunt or grandmother? You don’t see this very often anymore, do you? My great aunt still quilted well into her 80s….she was last one of my family to still do it. I wouldn’t even know how to start.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...