Google+ Georgia On My Mind: Wordless: Gainesville Tornado

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wordless: Gainesville Tornado


Following the terrible 1936 tornado that destroyed Gainesville, Georgia, President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited the town when they dedicated a new civic center including a new city hall and Hall County courthouse on March 23, 1938.

The Digital Library of Georgia states, “Roosevelt praised the people of Gainesville for their remarkable achievement in rebuilding the city better than it was before the storm, and suggested that this excellent example of local good citizenship could also be usefully applied in a national setting.” You can see the transcript of Roosevelt’s speech here.

You can find out more about the 1936 Gainesville tornado here.

Just a reminder…the Georgia Carnival will be posting here on Friday, March 13th. Submissions are due tomorrow. If you have a Georgia blog or you have written a post about Georgia you can submit it here.

You can find other bloggers participating in Wordless Wednesday here.

4 comments:

Celeste said...

IO hate when the tornadoes hit our state. ( I am a Georgia blog)

Elisson said...

If that's Theodore Roosevelt, I'll eat my hat. In fact, I'll eat all of my hats... and I have a lot of hats.

Karen Harrington said...

I love historical photos. (That's my topic on WW today, too.) Hope your fine state is tornado free this season.

EHT said...

Elisson, you ARE exactly right. I posted in a hurry this morning and my picture does NOT show Theodore Roosevelt, but Franklin. I'm about to go in and correct it.

Thank you SO much!

Karen, I hope we have a quiet season as well.

Celeste, I'm on my way to check out your blog. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...