Google+ Georgia On My Mind: Villanow

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Villanow

Walker County’s hamlet of Villanow is interesting.
It is a crossroads community which has an interesting history regarding its name.
Two stories exist….one states that the name derives from a magnificent palace described in Jane Porter’s novel, Thaddeus of Warsaw, named Villanow. Another more local story tells of Mrs. Constantine Wood proposing the name saying, “It is no longer a hamlet, but it is now a village, or a village now, i.e. “Villa-now”.
I mentioned Villanow in my article Changing Pockets back in June.

This is a picture of the Villanow General Store.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

The gas pumps are gone now. I just live a few miles from there.

Amber Rhea said...

Love the photo! I love small Georgia towns.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...