Google+ Georgia On My Mind: Restaurant Review: The Farmhouse at Serenbe

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Farmhouse at Serenbe


Recently the Mister and I ventured down to Serenbe to eat at The Farmhouse restaurant.

I’m not going to waste a lot of your time by re-blogging things about the Serenbe Community that you might already know or that you can find out on your own by visiting the webpage for the community located in Chattahoochee Hills, but.....


To help you along a bit I will share this from the website….The settlement of Serenbe is found in the heart of Chattahoochee Hill Country.   The 40,000 acres of rural Georgia is about the size of Napa Valley, and is one of the last undeveloped stretches of land in the Atlanta area.  The founders of Serenbe realize that their largely untouched 1,000 acres presented a short window of opportunity for creating a community in a new better way.


And concerning restaurants….

At Serenbe, we believe in the power of food.  Families bond over meals, friends are made, and true communities are formed.  Serenbe founders Steve and Marie Nygren have a long history with food – Steve as a restaurateur and founder of the successful Peasant Restaurant Group; Marie as the daughter of Margaret Lupo, owner and chef of Atlanta’s famed Mary Mac’s Tea Room – and they knew that culinary arts should be at the heart of all that Serenbe has to offer.  Thus, Serenbe has become a dining destination featuring authentic restaurants and some of the best talent in the South.


Well, I have to agree.

We went to Sunday dinner at The Farmhouse which is located in the Inn at Serenbe.   


Sunday dinner resembles going to Grandma’s for  dinner after church.   There are no choices….just good food.   Well, I take that back.   We were able to choose fried chicken or the pork chop, but the sides came along as a surprise.  

Of course we chose the Fried Chicken Lunch which you can order on Saturdays or Sundays.

I was taken by the old farmhouse.   The wide porch reminded me so much of the turn-of-the-century home I grew up in down to the same type of gun-metal gray painted porch where I spent so much of my time playing and reading.

I mourn for that porch.....

I felt like I was going home to a certain extent.




Our table had a great view of the Inn's pool area......I have to come and stay here at some point.   I've put that on my "to-do" list, and hope I get around to it soon.




Once we were seated the waitress brought these lovely Sour Cream Chive Biscuits.  Later I looked for the receipe and happened to find Marie’s own recipe published on the web, so I recorded it for myself at my cooking blog here.




We started out with the Fried Green Tomatoes which were perfectly done.....



....and then the fried chicken arrived!!!!



The piece of chicken was huge…...  It was boneless and more like a huge chicken steak.   Each bite was a perfect fusion of crunch mixed with moist and tender chicken.   

The sides served up on the Sunday I happened to visit included  a cherry tomato relish type dish, potato salad, and the best zucchini casserole I’ve ever tasted.  

And of course, we had to try the Blueberry Cobbler with a little vanilla ice cream on the side for dessert because......

well, just because.





Heaven……….

All I needed afterward was a nice nap on that welcoming front porch.

You can find Marie Nygren’s blog here….and yes, I’m adding her to the blogroll. :)    

Are you friends with Georgia on My Mind on Facebook?   I hope so...but if not see the "like" box in the sidebar.   I've published a photo album there with more of my pictures I took while visiting Serenbe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...