Google+ Georgia On My Mind: The 10-20-30 Virus

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The 10-20-30 Virus

Pastor Bill over at Provocative Church tagged me with the 10-20-30 virus. If I have to have a virus this is the kind I’d want. The whole point is to write about where you were in your life 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and 30 years ago.

30 years ago: The year was 1977. I was a tenth grader making the change from public school….Lakeshore High School in College Park to private school….Woodward Academy. I loved my old school, but loved my new one even more. Friday and Saturday nights found me making the ever slow trek up and down Old National Highway where all the high school kids on the southside hung out to see and be seen. The Krystal and Steak and Shake parking lots were particular hot spots for some reason. This was also the year I finally gave in to join my church (First Baptist Church of Red Oak) and be baptized. “Gave in” is the right phrase because I had been ready for years, but simply wouldn’t submit to that walk down to the preacher. Rev. Larry Stewart was so relieved when I finally made that walk. He said his list had finally gotten shorter. It was also the year that I first laid eyes on my husband. He worked for my father and though it took him some time to realize I was “the one” I knew it in an instant. We have been married 23 years.

20 years ago: The year was 1987. I had been married for three years and was busy being the mother of an even more busy two year old boy. I was working as a paralegal for a lawfirm in Marietta, and hubby and I had just bought a new home west of Atlanta. We are still there. This was also the year I had to face what many children do in the United States though they are often at much younger ages. At the age of 25 I found myself a child of divorce. It’s never easy no matter how old you are.

10 years ago: The year was 1997. I was a busy mom of a twelve year old boy and a four year old girl. I was a work-from-home mom, a room mother, and PTA queen. I also travelled around to local courthouses doing freelance background checks and title exams for various clients by day, and by night I was immersed in the teacher candidate program for middle grades education at Mercer University. I finally started teaching during the 98-99 school year.

In order to get the virus totally out of my system I have to tag five other people, and I have decided to stick to Georgia folks. I’m interested in learning more about Chicken Fat, The Aging Hipster, Button Gwinnett over at Liberal Lucidity, Doug over at Considerettes, and SpaceyG at The Spacey Gracey Review.

I have emailed these folks with notification they have been infected. :)

4 comments:

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

Lisa, thank you so much for tagging me! I'm honored and intrigued. I tried to do the meme, but it brought back too many old memories, most of them not so wonderful, so I just decided to take a pass on writing about my life in the past in any capacity. Maybe someday I'll be wise and strong enough to do so. I keep hoping, and sometimes even trying. But not right now...

EHT said...

It's ok....I understand. :)

Amber Rhea said...

You used to do title exams? That's exactly what I'm looking for someone to do for me! But I am clueless as to how to find someone to do it. Any advice?

EHT said...

Amber, one of the best ways to find someone is to visit the local courthouse where you want the title run and go to the record room. Talk to the clerk who works in there and ask him/her if they could point out one of the freelancers in the room. I was a clerk in Cherokee County while I was in college back in the early 80s and I used to point out freelancers to folks all the time. Word of warning....even a freelancer can be expensive especially these days with gas and liability insurance expenses being so high.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...